In the late 1800's, an eccentric music teacher named Professor Frank Clark borrowed money to build a mansion on Harris Street in Charlotte. He named it Hollyhurst and hoped it would be a residence for him and eventually his bride. But it was not to be, as the young woman of his fancy did not return his interest. The heartbroken Clark continued to live in the mansion with his dog, though he never fully completed the mansion. He became ill and was admitted to a neighborhood facility called Maple City Hospital, where he eventually died in 1930. The mansion thus became property of the generous farmer who had loaned him the money to build it. That farmer's name was Henry Hayes.
Mr. Hayes continued to live and work on his Charlotte farm, where he had a housekeeper who had worked at the Hayes farm since she was a teenager. Her name was R. Ellen Green. So Hayes and Green took on the responsibility to care for and decide what to do with the mansion. Mr. Hayes also died in 1930.
Henry Hayes’ intention had been to donate the mansion to Eaton County for the establishment of the county’s first 'modern' hospital. So Miss Green honored his wishes began what was a courageous and lengthy process to offer the mansion to Eaton County. With the efforts of several other leaders, she accomplished that goal in 1933, donating the mansion to the Eaton County Board of Supervisors (now Board of Commissioners), and per her requirements, the hospital was named Hayes-Green Hospital.
Less than two decades later, the local healthcare demands already had outgrown the mansion. In 1945, Fitch H. Beach provided a major donation and his name was added, making it Hayes Green Beach. He then played a major role in the fundraising effort to build the 1954 wing, which truly became, for its time, a modern hospital. When the hospital became a private nonprofit hospital in the 70's, it was renamed Hayes Green Beach Memorial Hospital. Many more buildings, expansions, and services followed.
Largely driven by the charitable support of the local community, the hospital has continued to make progress in healthcare quality – most notably with the completion of Imagine HGB in 2005, then AL!VE in 2011-2012, Eaton Area Orthopedics in 2017, One Team Family Health in 2017, and many other expansions and additions.. Now, the hospital stands poised as a place where Eaton County residents can confidently receive quality care from high-caliber physicians and professionals with a wide range of capabilities and extensive relationships.